Travelers live for the doing; Tourists love more the telling.

Travelers live for the doing. Tourists love more the telling



Create Your Own Visited States Map

Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 27, 2011 Day 24 Glendo Wyomng to Albuquerque New Mexico

Well I have goofed off in Wyoming over the weekend and am ready to head south again. Glendo has a population of about 200. A quarter of them are related to me some way, both my parents were raised in Glendo and I have numerous aunts, uncles and cousins living there. I have designs of being back in Tempe in a little less than 24 hours. There is an organization called The Iron Butt Riders. They have a lot of interesting ride to do that qualify for placks and license plate frames. To become a member one needs to do a Saddle Sore 1000, a thousand miles in 24 hours. You get someone at the beginning of your ride to sign a witness form, fuel up and keep the receipt with a time and date stamp, that is your start time, stop for fuel at least every 300 miles and/or where your course makes a major turn, keep your receipt with time and date,  log all your fuel stops with the bike odometer reading and the time, list any rest stops or sleep stops and when you get to your destination the last fuel receipt is the ending time and date. Leaving Glendo it would be I 25 to I 40 to Holbrook and home through Payson or I 40 to Flagstaff and home on 17. That would put me between 1050 and 1100 miles. 16 hours plus fuel stops and there are 7 hours to goof off or sleep. I had a time and date stamp of 8:00 at the station in down town Glendo, figured I would ride till I was really tired and then get a room for a few hours and finish up, if I didn't get tired I would be home a little after midnight. All went well till I was coming out of the station in Raton NM to get on the bike and I see something shinny on my rear tire. It is a bit of steel belt showing. There is one bike shop in Raton and it is closed on Sunday and Monday, I head south at a much slower pace and stop in Las Vegas NM and talk to a couple of sheriffs at a gas station and there are no bike shops there, need to go to Santa Fe. The tire has more belt showing but the belt hasn't worn through any where and there is another layer under that one so I head south again, At Santa Fe every thing is well off the road and it is getting late enough that I won't get a tire today so ride on another 60 miles to Albuquerque, find a hotel and wait for the BMW dealer to open Tue morning, most bike shops like to be closed on Monday.  My longest day so far 650 miles and I feel great, too bad I will have to wait for the Saddle Sore ride. I had been watching the rear tire, it had about 1800 miles on it before I left home, looked almost like new. Every where but the spot where the steel belt was showing the tire still looked great and you wouldn't think there was a problem. I am glad it just happen to be in sight when I came out to get on the bike.  Critters today were the antelope that were hiding Friday when I rode into Glendo. I saw antelope in Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment