Travelers live for the doing; Tourists love more the telling.

Travelers live for the doing. Tourists love more the telling



Create Your Own Visited States Map

Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 18, 2011 Day 15 Watson Lake Yukon to Smithers British Coulmbia

 Today I am on a new road the Cassair highway, 37 on the map. Of course it was raining when I loaded up the bike. I back track about 15 miles and turn on to 37. Headed south and not much traffic in the first hour I only meet two motorcycles, one car and 3 pickups, See one bear close to the road but it heads into the brush when I stop. There is a little more traffic now but the road is good and Dease Lake is my planed stop for fuel and breakfast. Not too long after the first bear sighting I catch up with an Escalade, a lady and two large dogs headed south also. Next bear sighting the bear seems to have found some trash and is feasting along side the road, I get stopped as does the Escalade and about the time I dig my camera out one of the dogs bark and the bear is gone, I see two more black bears and one brown bear before I get to Dease lake along with a fox that is about the biggest and prettiest fox I have ever seen. An oncoming car has to stop to let the fox cross the road, I am again getting my gloves off, digging my camera out of the back pocket on my tank bag and the fox is standing 30 feet away watching me. I get the camera out, turn it on and the fox heads up the hill and into the bush, so much for a picture of the fox. At Dease Lake I pull into fuel up and meet the lady in the Escalade. She has seen 9 bear beside the fox that I had seen, bet the darn dogs scared the ones I didn't see away. The road has been great with about 4 miles total of gravel. I eat breakfast at the cafe and head south. I would like to make it to Smithers, that is 535 miles from Watson Lake, but if the roads are bad and I am running slow I will take a 40 mile side trip to Stewart / Hyder and stay there for the night, that is about 400 miles for the day. The road stays great, the views are beautiful and the traffic has picked up a little but not too bad. I see one more fox, a little bedraggled looking, my guess is a female with pups some where and a nice big coyote. I pass the turn off for Stewart/Hyder and it is still early, looks like I will be in Smithers tonight. Nothing great about Smithers, it just means I am back to civilization, cell phone and internet. I have ridden 535 miles today, every inch of it has been beautiful. I have ridden by lakes, rivers and streams, been on high mountain passes with view for miles,  even the last 30 miles into Smithers was great, rolling green hills with small farms, old red barns horses and cows.  A great day and no rain the last 200 miles.

Traveler

No comments:

Post a Comment